Question Raised About Benghazi Attack
During the immediate aftermath of the attack in Benghazi, Libya on September 11, Susan Rice the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations might have misled the public deliberately when she spoke on news shows across television and said the facility that had been targeted was a “consulate.”
The diplomatic mission of the U.S. in Benghazi was actually a meeting place coordinating aid for insurgencies, which were rebel-led in the Middle East, said security officials in the Middle East.
A number of rebel fighters are members of terrorists groups including al-Qaeda. A great deal of the media attention and criticism politically has been directed towards Rice’s as well as others statement’s that were made immediately following the attack in Benghazi, primarily her placing the blame for the attacks on a film that vilified Muhammad that caused protests outside the mission.
However, intelligence and video evidence has showed that popular protests did not take place outside the facility in Benghazi on that day and the attack was the work of jihadists.
In defending itself recently against new claims saying the White House cleaned the initial assessment made by the CIA on the attacks of all references to al-Qaeda, White House administration officials could well have implicated themselves unintentionally in another scandal that until now had gone unnoticed.
This past weekend Ben Rhodes the Deputy National Security Adviser said only small edits of facts were done to the first CIA assessment. Saying only how to refer to the Benghazi facility was edited.
However, many times after the incident Rice and others from the White House administration referred to the facility as a consulate.