Gingrich Will Stay In With Revamped Campaign
Newt Gingrich has had to cut his campaign to save what dwindling money his sagging campaign still has. Nevertheless, he vowed on Wednesday to remain in the race for the Republican nomination until currently frontrunner Mitt Romney gains the necessary support to win the nomination.
Gingrich said he would stay until the 1,144 needed delegates were won by Romney. He said, “I owe all those that have helped me for the past year to represent their values and their views.”
He was visibly upset about the pressure mounting on him and Rick Santorum to step aside and make way for the frontrunner Romney. He said, “The establishment wants Rick and I to step aside, but Romney must earn the win, he will not have it given to him.”
Nevertheless, a Gingrich spokesman said he would fully support Romney if or when it has won the required delegates before the Republican national convention scheduled for August in Tampa, Florida.
Gingrich recently cut one-third of his campaign staff and asked Michael Krull, his campaign manager, to resign. Gingrich’s new strategy is to spend less effort in primary states and instead spend more time and effort into persuading delegates to support him at the party’s convention in August. More effort will also be focused on using Twitter, YouTube and other social networking sites.
These changes come after his campaign recently reported over $1.5 million in debt at the end of last month, according to his Federal Election Commission report filings.