Jindal Says GOP Must Stop Being Stupid
Bobby Jindal, the Governor of Louisiana, warned his fellow members of the Republican Party that they need to stop being the stupid party. On Thursday, Jindal gave a sharp, fiery critique of the Republican Party at the winter meeting of the Republican National Committee.
On Friday, top members of the Republican Party will meet in Charlotte with many focused on the best way to jumpstart the party following the losses occurred during the 2012 election that saw the White House remain in the Democrats hands and the Democrats gaining seats in both the House and the Senate.
Jindal is one of the popular rising stars in the GOP, who is considered an early possible contender for the presidential nomination in 2016. The Louisiana Governor believes the recalibration of his party involves learning how to stop insulting the voters’ intelligence.
Jindal, in his speech, outlines seven steps he believes his fellow Republicans need to implement to remain competitive with Democrats. He accused his party of looking back to the past and obsessing with “identity politics,”
Jindal said Republicans needed to reject the notion that the color of one’s skin dictates the voter behavior. He said demography is not destiny. The upstart Governor of Louisiana also said the party needed to work at reframing its message of restricting the government’s size.
He took some swipes at Mitt Romney the former presidential nominee from the party by insisting that Republicans need to compete for each and every vote available and that included the 47%, as well as the other 53%.
However, probably his most provocative suggestion was that the party as a whole had to stop insulting the voter’s intelligence and to have more intelligence themselves. Jindal’s comments appeared to be targeted at the conservative Senate candidates whose abortion and rape comments appeared to end their chances at winning their races.