White House Denies the Use of Scare Tactics
While President Obama continues to warn how painful the budget cuts will be that will take hold on Friday, Republicans in Congress have started to accuse him of using scare tactics.
Republicans have said it has been orchestrated with the precision of a campaign for the presidency, as each day another warning about the calamity that is about to come is released.
The White House administration is expressing all the painful details as a way to pressure the Republicans to stave off the spending cuts set to start on March 1. However, Republicans have accused Obama’s administration of exaggerating the impact the sequester will have for partisan reasons.
The hype is being denied by Democrats, who say the impact of the defense and domestic cuts this year of $85 billion should not minimized. Most thought both parties would stop the cuts, but who will take the blame and for how long has people on Capitol Hill worried. At this point, everyone is pointing the finger at everyone else since no formal negotiations have even started about how to avoid the cuts.
John Boehner, the House Speaker, accused Obama of using men and women in the military as his campaign props. On Tuesday, Obama will be in Virginia at Newport News Shipbuilding.
On Monday, Janet Napolitano, the Secretary of Homeland Security was in the White House briefing room responding to criticism. She said she did not intend to scare people, but to inform them so they can start to plan. She said there would be large impacts in the daily lives of many.
Last week the Pentagon said over 800,000 workers who are civilians would have to be furloughed one day per week. Next, the White House said FBI agents would have to be furloughed, while police officers and teachers at a local level would be laid off. Then the White House announced that security lines at the different airports around the country could be as long as 90 minutes.