Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation (BGFV) – Investment Analysts’ Recent Ratings Updates
Several brokerages have updated their recommendations and price targets on shares of Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation (NASDAQ: BGFV) in the last few weeks:
- 8/8/2017 – Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation had its “hold” rating reaffirmed by analysts at Forward View. They now have a $11.00 price target on the stock.
- 8/4/2017 – Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation was downgraded by analysts at Zacks Investment Research from a “hold” rating to a “strong sell” rating. According to Zacks, “Big 5 Sporting's shares have underperformed the broader industry in the last three months. The company posted lower-than-expected top-line results in second-quarter 2017. While comps improved, it was significantly hurt by diminished demand for some products in the hardgoods category as well as the the calendar shift of Easter and Fourth of July holidays into the second quarter. Further, the company provided soft comps and earnings outlook for the third quarter due to cycling of the benefits of rival store closures last year and a tough retail environment. However, the company’s earnings topped estimates, marking its fifth straight earnings beat. Going forward, the company expects to retain market share gains from last year. Further, its inventory position is apt for the rest of summer and the back to school season. Additionally, Big 5 Sporting's shareholder-friendly moves are noteworthy.”
- 8/2/2017 – Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation was downgraded by analysts at Deutsche Bank AG from a “buy” rating to a “hold” rating. They now have a $10.00 price target on the stock, down previously from $20.00.
- 8/1/2017 – Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation was downgraded by analysts at ValuEngine from a “strong-buy” rating to a “buy” rating.
- 7/8/2017 – Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation was downgraded by analysts at BidaskClub from a “sell” rating to a “strong sell” rating.
- 7/4/2017 – Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation was downgraded by analysts at Zacks Investment Research from a “strong-buy” rating to a “sell” rating. According to Zacks, “Big 5's shares have lagged the broader industry on a year-to-date basis. The company’s seasonal nature of business makes it largely dependent on weather conditions. This remains a concern, as unfavorable weather may lead to soft sales of seasonal products, thus hurting the top-line. In fact, this was also witnessed in the first-quarter 2017, where favorable winter fuelled demand for winter goods, while non-winter products suffered owing to heavy rainfall. Apart from this, management expects the calendar shift of Easter and Fourth of July holidays into the second quarter, to have a negative impact on results. However, Big 5 is largely gaining from the competitive rationalization in markets where it operates due to the liquidation of rivals Sports Authority and Sport Chalet. Incidentally, this has been fueling the company’s comps and merchandise margins growth. Additionally, Big 5’s shareholder-friendly moves are noteworthy.”
Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation (NASDAQ:BGFV) traded down 2.07% during trading on Wednesday, reaching $9.45. 394,866 shares of the company’s stock were exchanged. The stock’s 50-day moving average price is $12.04 and its 200-day moving average price is $14.10. The company has a market capitalization of $205.50 million, a price-to-earnings ratio of 8.69 and a beta of -0.09. Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation has a 52-week low of $9.05 and a 52-week high of $20.35.
Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation (NASDAQ:BGFV) last announced its quarterly earnings results on Tuesday, August 1st. The company reported $0.13 earnings per share for the quarter, missing analysts’ consensus estimates of $0.19 by $0.06. Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation had a net margin of 2.30% and a return on equity of 11.86%. The company had revenue of $243.67 million during the quarter, compared to the consensus estimate of $251.03 million. During the same quarter last year, the company earned $0.11 earnings per share. The business’s revenue was up .9% on a year-over-year basis. Equities analysts expect that Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation will post $0.93 earnings per share for the current year.
The business also recently declared a quarterly dividend, which will be paid on Friday, September 15th. Shareholders of record on Friday, September 1st will be given a $0.15 dividend. This represents a $0.60 dividend on an annualized basis and a yield of 6.25%. The ex-dividend date of this dividend is Wednesday, August 30th. Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation’s dividend payout ratio (DPR) is 54.55%.
In other Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation news, Director Van B. Honeycutt sold 12,000 shares of the company’s stock in a transaction on Friday, May 26th. The stock was sold at an average price of $13.83, for a total value of $165,960.00. Following the sale, the director now directly owns 14,400 shares in the company, valued at $199,152. The sale was disclosed in a document filed with the Securities & Exchange Commission, which is accessible through this hyperlink. Insiders sold 15,095 shares of company stock worth $207,972 over the last quarter. Company insiders own 7.90% of the company’s stock.
Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation is a sporting goods retailer in the western United States. The Company offers a range of products in a sporting goods store format. The Company also offers products online through its e-commerce platform. The Company’s product mix includes athletic shoes, apparel and accessories, as well as a range of outdoor and athletic equipment for team sports, fitness, camping, hunting, fishing, tennis, golf, winter and summer recreation, and roller sports.
Receive News & Ratings for Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation Daily - Enter your email address below to receive a concise daily summary of the latest news and analysts' ratings for Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation and related companies with MarketBeat.com's FREE daily email newsletter.